Dec 30, 2005

Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

The Book

I have read the book. In fact I have read the whole series of the Narnia books twice. But out of them all The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe was my favorite.

One of the things I like about the book is that the good and evil sides are made very clear. The lion represents good. The witch represents evil. The sides are made very clear and very distinct. You know which is the good side and you know which is the bad side. But take for instance Harry Potter. From the reviews I’ve heard, Harry Potter is a witch, yet he is made to be the good guy. The sides of good and evil are not clear. I have never read the Harry Potter books. I have never watched the movies. I do not agree with them, because Harry Potter is shown to be on the good side, when he should be on the evil side.

Let no one be found among you who sacrifices his son or daughter in the fire,
who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, or
casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead. Anyone
who does these things is detestable to the Lord, and because of these detestable
practices the Lord your God will drive out those nations before you. You must be
blameless before the Lord your God. The nations you will dispossess listen to
those who practice sorcery or divination. But as for you, the Lord your God has
not permitted you to do so.

Deuteronomy 18: 10-14

He who overcomes will inherit all this, and I will be his God and he will be my
son. But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murders, the sexually
immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—their place
will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.

Revalation 21:7-8
Making it into a movie. Good idea? Bad idea?

One of the concerns I had about the movie was whether they had stayed true to the book, or had they changed it. Christianity Today’s interview with Douglas Gresham (co-producer) helped to clear this up. Click here to read that interview.

(I saw the movie last Friday and they definitely kept Narnia, Narnia. They stuck to the book.)

Why partner with Disney?

Some people do not want to see the movie because Walden partnered with Disney. But Walden co-founder and president Micheal Flaherty, in an interview with Christianity Today, explains about that. Click here to read that interview.

Should Christians support this movie?

Read the interview that Christianity Today had with Douglas Gresham. Click here. (It is the same one as above.)

Disney has made movies that are bad, but they have also made some very good movies. For instance, Cinderella, Toy Story 1&2, The Pacifier, The Incredibles, Finding Nemo, etc. And now that Disney has partnered with Walden on Narnia, I think that we should show them that we support movies like this. So then maybe it will encourage them to make movies like it in the future.

Do I support it?

Yes, I supported this movie even before I saw it, but now that I’ve seen it, I support it even more. They did an excellent job. And I give it 5 stars and 2 thumbs up!

These are my views on the movie, but if you don’t agree, I respect your opinion. I don’t want this post to start a debate. I just wanted to show you my view.

No comments: